How to Use Storage to Support Data Resilience
Added Thursday 21 July 2022
Why do I need resilient storage?
Relying on simple backup and recovery is no longer enough to keep your data safe.
The rise of remote working and cloud computing, and the subsequent monetisation of ransomware by cybercriminals to exploit global events, has left data vulnerable and at greater risk than ever before.
Adopting a full-stack security approach and investing in a new breed of storage solution, that provides both data and cyber resilience, is the best way to future-proof your infrastructure and protect business-critical data in today’s rapidly evolving security landscape.
Taking a multi-layered approach
Data resilience is about ensuring your data is continuously available even when the worst happens.
You can achieve this by adopting a multi-layered approach and deploying infrastructure that supports data resilience at the hardware and software level. This software-defined storage gives you much greater flexibility and the agility you need to rapidly and automatically adapt to new demands as they happen.
Benefits of data and cyber resilient storage
Resilient storage solutions not only protect data from data-destructive events and facilitate rapid recovery, they also offer numerous business benefits, including:
- Allowing you to leverage existing storage investments
- Enabling you to easily manage exponential data growth and diverse workloads
- Minimising storage consumption with improved performance and lower costs
- Ensuring continuous and efficient business operations during and after a cyberattack
- Reducing cyber risk and unifying security across all environments
What to look for in a resilient storage solution
So, how do you know if your storage is resilient? The easiest way is to look at its capabilities and see if they match the 10 requirements on this checklist:
- Data encryption
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) monitoring
- Multi-factor authentication
- Multiple layers of backup
- Air-gapped systems and immutable snapshots
- Automation and orchestration tools
- Data volumes that can mount instantly for rapid recovery
- Self-service data portal
- Metadata management for unstructured data
- Self-service container backup and recovery or cloud-native integration
If your storage doesn’t have all of these capabilities, then it can’t offer you the same business advantages as a truly resilient storage solution can.
IBM’s storage and data resilience portfolio
IBM storage solutions are engineered to provide effective and innovative data resilience that simplifies protection management across your hybrid cloud environments. They help you
maximize business uptime and lower your TCO, all while improving resilience against the most impactful cyberthreats.
In the modern threat landscape you need more than a backup and recovery insurance policy; you need a business-centric, resilient storage solution that will accelerate your journey on the road to digital transformation.